With its many quirks and oddities, there’s no place quite like Brisbane. It’s a huge mix of people and cultures from around the world with some of the best cuisine and art on offer. If you ache for the outdoors, some of the world’s best beaches, waterfalls and hiking trails are just a short drive away. And well, there’s still some divisiveness over whether it’s better on the northside or southside.
Once you’ve lived in Brisbane for a while, you learn a few tips and tricks to make life in the metropolis a little bit smoother. Here are some rules you should know to survive living in Brisbane, as told to us by Brisbanites on Facebook.
1. Don’t go swimming in the Brisbane river unless you want to be eaten by a bull shark.
First and foremost.
2. Your house will be hotter than outside in summer and colder than outside in winter.
3. Kookaburras in the Botanic Gardens are brazen AF. Hold on tight to your pastries.
4. Forget everything you learned about how to merge.
Actually, there were a lot of comments about Brisbane drivers not indicating.
5. Socks and thongs ARE correct Winter footwear
I mean, are they? Now, that’s a divisive topic…
6. We are outdoor people and still like to go to restaurants when it’s cold.
7. Expect to be asked where you went to school.
8. Expect parked cars in any left lane.
9. Brisbanites from south or north of the river pretend the other doesn’t exist. The CBD is no-mans land.
Either that, or the north and south are in war with each other…
10. Don’t get hungry after 8pm.
11. Never take your eyes off your lunch near even a single ibis.
Again with the birds…
12. Always wear good walking shoes because the buses have a habit of not showing up….
13. Get your own scooter
14. Don’t feed the bin chicken!!
15. The public transport timetable is just a guide.
16. Get a Go card.
17. potholes. I don’t need to elaborate.
18. Have a trench coat for the one day you will need to pair it with a beanie
19. Beware of magpies from late July to late November.
Second this big time! Actually you know what, just don’t go outside.
20. Don’t dress for temp, dress for humidity.
21. We don’t like people that move here and start complaining constantly about roads and getting coffee at 3pm and how it’s hot. Ffs, if you don’t like it…bye
I mean, nuff said.
SEE MORE: 8 Extraordinary Places You Won’t Believe Are Near Brisbane