Tripadvisor has announced their Best of the Best Hotels list as part of the 2023 Travellers’ Choice Awards. Now in its 21st edition, this list has examined 12 months of review data from over 1.5 million hotels. Find out the best places to stay across ten categories, including Best Luxury Hotels, Best Inns and B&Bs and more. They’ve created a few lists, highlighting the best hotels to visit and stay across Australia, the South Pacific and the world.
Three hotels in Australia were recognised as some of the best around the globe, with Victoria’s Yarra Gables at Number 3 in the world BnB category. Meanwhile, Mount Lofty House Adelaide Hills did South Australia proud, coming in at Number 24 in the world Small Hotels category. And finally, Pinetrees Lodge on Lord Howe Island was Number 25 in the world for All-Inclusives.
Seven Australian hotels made it to the Top 10 in the South Pacific, with Pinetrees Lodge as the Top Hotel in the South Pacific for 2023.
As for the Top Hotels in Australia, both Queensland and Victoria were home to some of the best hotels in the country. Each state had eight hotels in the top 25. The Top Hotels list looks at the highest-rated stays around the nation, ranging from countryside motels to luxurious venues.
Here are the best hotels in Australia for 2023.
1. Pinetrees Lodge, Lord Howe Island (NSW)
This family-owned, historic venue is both the Number 1 hotel in Australia and the South Pacific. Pinetrees Lodge has welcomed guests since 1895, and is now operated by Dani Rourke and Luke Hanson, six generations after the original owners. Only 400 visitors are allowed to stay on Lord Howe Island at any time, making this venue exclusive and pristine. Travellers on Tripadvisor have also praised the hotel for its friendly staff, delicious food and attention to detail.
“Pinetrees Lodge is a full-service hotel,” said Luke and Dani. “We talk to our guests, carry their bags, deliver picnics, light wood-fired BBQs, guide our groups through hiking and swimming adventures, and serve beautiful food four times a day. Trying to limit the contact between guests and staff at Pinetrees went completely against the grain of what we do. We’ll never be a ‘contactless check-in’ kind of place.”
2. The Reef House Adults Boutique Tropical Escapes, Palm Cove (QLD)
This adults-only retreat has provided an escape for couples for almost 50 years. The Reef House Adults Boutique Tropical Escapes is a space for couples to relax and reconnect. Feel pampered with bespoke experiences, great amenities and warm hospitalities. The hotel features on-site yoga and wellness classes, an award-winning day spa, as well as daily twilight canapes, pool butler service and luxury concierge.
3. The Remington Muswellbrook, Muswellbrook (NSW)
The Remington Muswellbrook is a new generation hotel that’s changing the game in regional hospitality. Find luxurious king suites, a fully licensed bar and a modern Australian restaurant. This countryside venue also has plenty of unexpected, but welcome, touches, like a glass of sparkling wine on arrival.
4. RACV Torquay Resort, Torquay (VIC)
Escape to the coast and enjoy ocean views, beach access and an 18-hole golf course at the RACV Torquay Resort. This retreat is a great place to rest after exploring the Surf Coast and the Great Ocean Road. At the hotel, you’ll find a restaurant, day spa, indoor pool and conference facilities.
5. Kingsford Smith Motel, Brisbane (QLD)
This family-run hotel in Brisbane is praised for its excellent customer service, attention to detail and amenities. The Kingsford Smith Motel is a comfortable place to stay, with lovely touches like a chocolate on your pillow.
6. Element on Coolum Beach, Coolum Beach (QLD)
Head to the Sunshine Coast, for some beachside living at Element on Coolum Beach. Wake up in one of the 49 self-contained apartments and deluxe suites, then hit the sand for some fun in the sun. This resort also features a heated outdoor pool, barbecue facilities and landscaped gardens.
7. Little National Hotel, Sydney (NSW)
After a busy day out, rest and relax at this boutique hotel in the heart of Sydney CBD. The Little National Hotel has comfortable and compact rooms, with super king beds, bathrobes and premium skin and hair care products. It also has a Terrace Bar, rooftop balcony, gym and dedicated workspace.
8. Zagame’s House, Melbourne (VIC)
Zagame’s House is a boutique luxury hotel, nestled in the heart of Carlton, Melbourne. Created by hotelier brothers Victor and Robert Zagame, this venue features modern interior design, sustainable architecture and luxurious amenities. Unwind with a tipple at Lord Lygon Wine Shop + Bar. Then, fall in love with Melbourne’s breakfast and coffee scene at 1851 Coffee + Kitchen.
9. Sovereign Park Motor Inn, Ballarat (VIC)
Originally known as Red Lion Hotel in 1937, the Sovereign Park Motor Inn has evolved over the years to become a key place to stay in Ballarat. Located just metres away from the historic Sovereign Hill, you’ll enjoy a retro motel feel at this venue. Relax at the indoor pool, sauna and spa. Check out the indoor half-court tennis court and gym. And indulge in something from the restaurant and bar.
10. Mansi on Raymond, Sale (VIC)
Mansi on Raymond is an eco-friendly accommodation that blends luxury and comfort. Explore the natural wonders of Gippsland, then relax inside the spacious one, two and three-bedroom apartments. There’s a wellness centre on-site, offering services like massages and yoga. If you want to add a touch of luxury, stay in a Bathhouse and enjoy the comforts of an outdoor mineral bath in a private courtyard.
The rest of the best hotels in Australia are:
11. Quest South Perth Foreshore, South Perth (WA)
12. Quest Orange, Orange (NSW)
13. Emporium Hotel South Bank, Brisbane (QLD)
14. MACq 01 Hotel, Hobart (TAS)
15. Julie-Anna Inn, Bendigo (VIC)
16. Majestic M Suites, Adelaide (SA)
17. Alcyone Hotel Residences, Brisbane (Qld)
18. Laneways By Ovolo, Melbourne (VIC)
19. Quest Echuca, Echuca (VIC)
20. Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat, Tallebudgera (QLD)
21. Quest Warrnambool, Warrnambool (VIC)
22. Korte’s Resort, Rockhampton (QLD)
23. Novotel Brisbane South Bank, Brisbane (QLD)
24. Four Seasons Hotel Sydney, Sydney (NSW)
25. Adina Apartment Hotel Adelaide Treasury, Adelaide (SA)
The Top 10 Hotels in the South Pacific are:
1. Pinetrees Lodge – Lord Howe Island, Australia
2. The Reef House Adults Boutique Tropical Escapes – Palm Cove, Australia
3. Tokoriki Island Resort – Tokoriki Island, Fiji
4. The Remington Muswellbrook – Muswellbrook, Australia
5. RACV Torquay Resort – Torquay, Australia
6. Kingsford Smith Motel – Brisbane, Australia
7. Element on Coolum Beach – Coolum Beach, Australia
8. Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort – Sigatoka, Fiji
9. The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort – Bora Bora, French Polynesia
10. Little National Hotel Sydney – Sydney, Australia
The Top 10 Hotels in the world are:
1. Rambagh Palace – Jaipur, India
2. Ozen Reserve Bolifushi – Bolifushi Island, Maldives
3. Hotel Colline de France – Gramado, Brazil
4. Shangri-La The Shard, London – London, United Kingdom
5. The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong – Hong Kong, China
6. JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai – Dubai, United Arab Emirates
7. Romance Istanbul Hotel – Istanbul, Türkiye
8. Ikos Dassia – Dassia, Greece
9. Ikos Andalusia – Estepona, Spain
10. Padma Resort Ubud – Puhu, Indonesia
To explore all the different lists and categories, click here.