ANZAC Day commemorates the anniversary of the arrival of Australian and New Zealand soldiers on Gallipoli on April 25, 1915. This year, the celebrations, time of reflection and the way we honour the troops who lost their lives after months of battle are back to normal. Here’s what to do this ANZAC Day in Brisbane.
Get up early and attend a Dawn Service
As usual, Brisbane’s Shrine of Remembrance will host the Dawn Service on Monday 25 April. The service begins at 4:30am and attendees are advised to arrive at ANZAC Square no later than 3:30am. Also, road closures will come into effect at 3am throughout Brisbane City.
If you can’t get to a Dawn Service, not to worry. You can stand on your driveway, balcony or living room with a lit candle at 6am to honour those who have served us.
Watch the ANZAC Day Parade
The First ANZAC Day Parade in Brisbane was held in Brisbane in 1916 when a mass meeting of people took place to commemorate those that had fallen. The Parade, which runs between 9:45am to 12:30pm, takes place in the CBD on Adelaide Street, between George Street and Creek Street, and is free to attend. In 2022, it will be led by the Royal Australian Navy.You can see the Parade map here.
The Parade, as well as National Commemorative Service, will also be livestreamed on ABC on ABCTV, iView, Radio and online.
What’s open on ANZAC Day?
- Ciao Papi, Brisbane City: 12pm–late
- Greca, Brisbane City: 12pm–late
- Hellenika, Fortitude Valley: 6:30am–late
- Ramen Danbo, Brisbane City, South Brisbane & Sunnybank Hills : 11am–10pm
- Remy’s, Paddington: 8am–8pm
- Roti Place, Brisbane City & West End: 11:30am–8:30pm
- Seoul Bistro, Sunnybank: 11am–10:30pm
- Stanley, Brisbane City: 12pm–3pm and 5pm–10pm
- The Terrace, South Brisbane: 7am–late
- Bare Naked Bowls, Newstead: 8am–1pm
- Belle Époque Patisserie, South Brisbane: 7am–2pm
- Botanica, Teneriffe, Red Hill, Camp Hill & Hawthorne: 8am–3pm
- Bunker Coffee, Milton: 6am–2pm
- Hunter & Scout, Graceville: 7am–2pm
- Lokal + Co, West End: 6am–2pm
- Maude, Coorparoo: 7am–2pm
- Microlot Coffee House, Hawthorne: 6.30–10:30am
- NYC Bagel Deli, West End & Chermside: 6:30am–2:30pm
- Pawpaw, Woolloongabba: 8am–3pm
- The Boundary Hotel, West End: 10am–late
- Felons Brewing Co., Brisbane City: 11am–12am
- Felons Barrel Hall, Brisbane City: 11am–9pm
- Living Room Bar, Brisbane City: 4pm–11pm
- Mr Percival’s, Brisbane City: 11am–1am
- Streetcorner Jimmy, Teneriffe: 12pm–late
- WET Deck at W Brisbane, Brisbane City: 11am–6pm